Hi, my name is Kyle Combes.
I do full-stack web development for a more sustainable and just world.
For my final project in Metals, Mining and the Environment, I investigated what actually happens to electronic waste (e-waste). I explored the technical feasibility and economic viability of recovering various compounds and elements. My final deliverable for the class...
My senior capstone project centered on increasing the accessibility of the CUAHSI JupyterHub platform with the HydroShare data sharing repository. Both of these services help hydrologists to conduct reproducible research, collaborate with others, and share models and...
In response to the current shortage of N95 medical masks, the Prakash Lab at Stanford University is developing a novel face mask for use in the fight against COVID-19. The team is working with others around the world to convert full-face snorkel masks into...
Innumerable comical phrases are uttered at Olin College, deemed quote-worthy, and jotted down, but they are often scattered and lost due to being saved in so many locations. In order to consolidate all of the quotes being saved, I created a quote board web app. It...
During my summer after junior year, I created a truck routing tool for GrubTubs, Inc using React and Node.js. The tool turned routing from an hour-long task into a five-minute one, freeing up the Operations Manager to do his other tasks. Customer usage information was...
Raspberry Pis are great. They're cheap, Wi-Fi enabled, and can be used in endless ways. But if you're running one without a monitor, you're bound to have trouble connecting to it at some point. Maybe it's got a dynamic IP address and that changed. Maybe it's not even...
Up until this semester, I was the software, electrical, and integration lead for Olin Aquatic Robotic Systems, a club attempting to build an autonomous sailboat. It was a massively over-scoped project (which has since been significantly down-scoped), but we learned a...
I spent the summer after sophomore year (2018) working for Optimus Ride, Inc in Boston, MA. I developed a graphical tool for analyzing LIDAR calibration data using Python, matplotlib, and PyQt. I also assisted in the refinement of their LIDAR calibration procedures....
My family shares a pay-as-you-go Ting account for our phones, which averages about $20/line/month. We're supposed to each be paying for our own usage, but only one person gets a bill at the end of the month. This wouldn't be a problem if there were an easy way to see...
- Created custom web-based food waste truck routing assistant and customer analytics portal using React and Redux which reduced routing time by over 80 percent
- Built Node.js backend server with REST API for web client and integrated external services using OAuth and webhooks
- Crafted Python script to allocate customers to service days based on geographic location, average pickup size, and service frequency needs while minimizing driving distance
I am happy to recommend Kyle based on my work with him at GrubTubs. [Kyle’s work led to] a large increase in efficiency which had an impact on the bottom line… Interpersonally, he is extremely professional yet personable.
[Kyle’s memo of suggestions] was greatly appreciated by senior management in the company and a number [of] his ideas have been implemented… I would not hesitate to work with Kyle again and feel he would be a great asset to any company given his skill set, work ethic and proactivity.
- Developed graphical tool for analyzing lidar calibration data for self-driving vehicles using Python, PyQT and matplotlib
- Refined lidar calibration and calibration verification procedures by analyzing gathered data and identifying shortcomings
- Lead frontend developer for new open-source community calendar platform built using React & Redux
- Developed customizable React calendar view module
- Designed websites for local businesses (primarily using WordPress)
- Serviced PC and Mac computer systems as well as associated peripherals for all types of users
- Learned how each generation interfaces with technology, and tailored tutorials based on client’s technical aptitude and familiarity with product
- Contracted with Mobile Computer Doctor, Inc
Kyle Combes is one of the best computer technicians I have had the pleasure of working with. Not only is he incredibly skilled with both software and hardware, but his ability to connect with the people he is helping is fantastic. I have received dozens of rave reviews about Kyle’s knowledge, skill, patience, and presence, and would enthusiastically recommend his services to anyone.
- Assisted in development of Silverlight-based PCB CAD system
- Worked primarily on UI (C# and XAML), manipulating XML-based data structures, and dealing with client-server interaction
- Built program capable of parsing and solving mathematical expressions entered into command line
Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering
B.S., Engineering degree candidate | Concentration: computing | Class of 2020 | 3.94 GPA